Nick writes for the New Orleans literary periodical Neutrons/ Protons.
Unsent Love Letters
Nick writes a column called Unsent Love Letters for the blog Somnambulist.
- ULL 11 - "A Light Never-Ending" 8.15.13
- ULL 10 - "Space and All Dead Things" 8.8.13
- ULL 09 - "There Is No Escape From The Slave-Catcher's Song" 7.31.13
- ULL 08 - "The Problem With Love Letters" 7.24.13
- ULL 07 - "The Ways That We Are Immortal" 7.17.13
- ULL 05 - "Heaven is a Book With the Story of All Of Us" 7.03.13
- ULL 04 - "Jasmine Grows Everywhere" 6.26.13
- ULL 03 - "One Strike of a Bell" 6.19.13
- ULL 02 - "Re-Assembling the Tiger" 6.12.13
- ULL 01 - "Quantum Entanglement" 6.5.13
Nick writes for Satellite Collective's online literary magazine Transmissions.
- "A Wellspring in Your Heart" 7.8.13 - An essay on trying to write 20 songs in one day along with four other people around the country.
- "Just Get Me In Closer To The Center" 7.8.13 - Conversation on a subway with my friend Nathan.
- "Stranger on the Shore" 3.1.13 - An explanation of the creation of a song cycle about a citizen astronaut who went into space in the 1960's.
Little Box of Lies
Nick writes an occasional column for Willamette Week in Portland called Little Box of Lies about the art and business of music and inspiration. Here are some of the best from that series:
- "All You Have to Do" 12.9.11 - The inspiration to remain an artist from Patti Smith's "Just Kids"
- "How To Write a Song" 12.2.11 - A very thorough step-by-step guide
- "The Benefits of Obscurity" 8.5.11 - Maybe fame isn't the first priority
- "Recorded Music Has Possibly Turned Us All Into Shallow, Demanding Aristocrats" 5.6.11
- "Beyond The Yellow Brick Road" 4.8.11 - Some day all money will lose its value
- "A 'Think' Piece About Menomena" 3.18.11 - Hanging out with your favorite band
Sadness: A Field Guide
Nick wrote an essay for Eye-Rhyme: a Journal of New Literature titled Sadness: A Field Guide, defining the different subtle shades of sadness that a human can experience.
"[W]hen arriving in a new city some orientation is welcome to even the most seasoned traveler. And I’ve been to this city. I know my way around. I offer you some points of interest, some ways around town."
Read the whole essay here.
Nick has kept tour diaries for most of his trips around the world. They can be found at WWeek.com. Here are some of the highlights:
- "No More Than Jonah, No Less Than The Whale" 11.9.10 - On meeting Poppa Neutrino
- "I Finally Broke Into The Prison" 10.26.10 - Playing a show to an audience who can't leave
- "Even Damnation Is Poisoned With Rainbows" 6.4.09 - Parking in New York City
- "You Shouldn't Wake Me Awhile" 5.6.09 - On being the boss